Thank you kestrel91316 from Democratic Underground:
From vet website:
How is aminopterin toxicity treated?
The nephrotoxicity is treated with aggressive hydration and diuresis to dissolve and remove the crystals from the tubules. Based upon reports in humans and reports by colleagues in this current situation, at least partial renal recovery can be anticipated in many cases.
Bone-marrow suppression (myelosuppression) is a concern with any folic acid inhibiting agent. A small number of VINners have reported anemia in patients exposed to the affected foods.
Thus far there are no reports of thrombocytopenia or leukopenia, but these effects may not be apparent until later in the disease process.
At this point, it is impossible to say if this potential effect needs to be addressed. Certainly changing the food fed and removing the insult is the most important step and may be adequate.
Folinic Acid (NOT FOLIC ACID) can be considered prophylactically to prevent or minimize myelosuppression and mucositis. Antibiotic therapy may be necessary in cases of severe neutropenia. Folinic acid doses are 1mg/kg/day PO.
Gastrointestinal damage may result in endotoxemia, diarrhea and vomiting. Supportive therapy is indicated if these signs are observed in an exposed patient.
******I am especially concerned about development of anemia (decreased rbcs) or decreased immunity (low wbcs) down the road in the surviving victims. And the very real risk of chronic renal disease as a sequel. What a disaster.*******